Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Getting To Know Me!

My name is Karen G. and I am a native Houstonian. Yep, that’s right…born and raised right here in Houston, Texas! I’ve been a member of the church all my life. I grew up near the Hobby Airport and lived in the same house all through childhood. I attended one Elementary (Alcott), one Jr. High (Hartman) and one High School (Jones). I grew up in the Broadway Ward in the Houston East Stake.
Tim and I worked at K-Mart and dated our Jr. and Sr. years of high school. Tim was not a member of the church at the time. My father said, “Either Tim starts going to church with us or you will have to stop dating him.” Luckily, Tim did start going to church with me and later took the missionary discussions. He even went to seminary with me on Fridays, but I think it was mainly for the pancake breakfast! In June of 1972, after graduating from high school, Tim decided to be baptized. In June of 1973, I graduated from Jones High School. A few weeks later, on Friday, July 13th, 1973, we were sealed for time and all eternity in the Provo Temple. So much for being superstitious! We’ve been married for 37 ½ years.
After graduation, Tim got a job with Southwestern Bell, which is now AT&T. He has worked for “Ma Bell” for 38 ½ years. We rented our first apartment near Hobby Airport. For the first few years of our marriage, I worked for Texas International Airlines. I had never even flown on an airplane until I got a job with the airlines. After Wendy, our first child, was born, I quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom and enjoyed every minute of it! I must admit…some moments were better than others!
Tim and I have 3 children. Wendy (33), Tim, II (31), and Holly (27). Each of them holds a very special place in our hearts. All three were miracle babies. I had fertility issues which prevented me from getting pregnant. For several years I was very frustrated. All my friends were having babies and I couldn’t conceive. Luckily I was referred to a great physician at Texas Women’s Hospital who was able to detect and correct the problem. Within six weeks I was pregnant with Wendy. The Lord knew that I needed a little more time to mature before having children. He made a very wise decision!
In 1980, after torrential rains almost flooded our home in Pasadena, TX, we decided to move west to Katy. We attended the Katy Ward. We have watched the Katy area grow from a single ward in 1980 to what it is today…an entire stake!

We have 4 adorable grandchildren and another one the way. Two of them are in Orofino, ID and two in Round Rock, TX. Kylie and Hunter (ages 6 and 3) live in Idaho with their parents Wendy and Jeff. Kylie is my only granddaughter. Needless to say, I have spoiled her rotten! Girls are just so much fun to shop for, what can I say! Chase and Tyson (ages 4 and 2), live in Round Rock with their parents, Holly and Brad. Holly is expecting her third child (predicted to be a girl) on July 17th. I spend a lot of time traveling back and forth between Katy and Round Rock these days. I love spoiling my grandchildren. I sure wish Kylie and Hunter lived a little closer to Nana and Papa too!! Kylie was 3 years old when they moved all the way to Alaska and I still haven’t recovered! At least now they live in Idaho which is a little closer to home.
Our son, Tim II, “the middle child”, works downtown for Wells Fargo as a financial analyst. He served his mission in Boise, ID. He’s very athletic, an Eagle Scout, and one of the nicest guys you’ll ever meet. He lives near downtown and loves being “where the action is”. He recently proposed to his girlfriend, Lucia, and announced that they are planning to wed on June 3rd in the San Antonio Temple. We are very excited Lucia said “yes” and will soon be joining the Gebauer family! I see more grandchildren in the not too distant future! Yeah!
I have worked in education for the last sixteen years. I started working full-time when my last child, Holly, was in third grade. I am currently the Administrative Assistant to the CIO at Katy ISD. I hope to retire in the next 4-5 years so I can be a stay-at-home Nana!
Tim and I have traveled a lot over the last 37 years, mostly in the states. We’ve also been to Canada, Mexico, the Bahamas, the Caribbean, Hawaii, and Alaska. My favorite mode of travel is on a cruise ship! We have taken several cruises over the years. I love cruising… you don’t have to cook or make the bed, plus there’s shopping on board! And then when you get off the ship…more shopping and restaurants await you! What else could a girl want?
Do we have any pets?? Does McDonald’s sell hamburgers!! Is Tim still involved in Boy Scouting? Of course we have pets! We have 2 dogs, Chloe-a 3 pound Yorkie, and Daisy, a Yorkie/Shihtzu. Chloe, all three pounds of her, rules the roost! She and I share the “prima donna” title according to Tim. We have several (I’ve lost count) snakes and turtles, thanks to my husband. We also have a huge aquarium full of fish. Needless to say, between the dogs, snakes, turtles and fish…the grandkids love to come and visit Nana and Papa and all the critters.
Do I have any hobbies? I guess I’d have to say that my favorite hobby is shopping! I am a great bargain shopper, if I do say so myself! I also like to read and take vacations, either by plane or by sea. Driving cross country…not so much! I like to exercise, especially if dancing is involved. I also like to play word games such as, Scrabble and Words with Friends. My dislikes include cheese, milk products, sauerkraut, and other weird looking vegetables. My favorite foods are fried shrimp, steak and summer fruits! My favorite dessert…almost anything sweet!
If I had a million dollars what would I do? First, I’d pay off all our bills, then take our children on a cruise and then move everyone to the Hill Country after we retire. My most prized possession would be my family. I love them more than anything…especially my adorable grandchildren!
I love the Savior and the atoning sacrifice He made for each and every one of us. I am grateful for my testimony of the gospel and the blessing of attending such a wonderful ward. We could not have raised our children without the love and support of our Ward family. You will always hold a special place in our hearts!

My favorite quote: “Anyone who says money can’t buy happiness doesn’t know where to shop!”

Loading image

Click anywhere to cancel

Image unavailable

No comments:

Post a Comment